Title: Re: [ozmidwifery] who is really there for women ? long
Hi Julie and all

I totally agree.  Collaboration is the way forward but medical control of midwifery is not collaboration, collaboration is a 2 way street not something dictated by Obstetrics.  Midwives must have an  scope of practice in their own right (and this is what the Dutch do).  We need to acknowledge that midwives are experts in the normal and that when conditions change they collaborate and refer to other providers.  This is what the ACMI national guidelines for referral and transfer are going to be used for.

As for independent homebirth practitioners, we legally don’t have them (this is the choice women are most unable to access) there is no respect for the professionalism of midwifery outside the system (by Government) as they have not only refused to assist with indemnity but in NSW  and VIC have made it illegal for any health practitioner to practice without insurance.

Public funded homebirth is a very important choice as it will allow so many more to access it.  It will no longer be an elite private service.  However there is no evidence for and significant evidence against a homebirth program being managed in the acute setting.  Obstetricians are not trained in normal birth.  The safety and success of homebirth is in the relationship and trust between midwife and woman (not obstetric protocol).

Birth Centre transfer statistics and protocols speak volumes.  Once again obstetric control “allows” a little bit of midwifery and then reins in where it sees fit (often against evidence and not in the best interests of women).  With the current ‘obstetric crisis’ we have the best opportunity to develop stand alone midwifery programs.  We do not need to accept a re-hash of what we have now. The UK now has 70 odd freestanding birth centres and some very positive work on providing all women who want homebirth with it and providing women with the real facts on C/S risk.  So no we don’t need to ‘speak’ Dutch!!

Justine

Acting National President Maternity Coalition
National Co-ordinator, Homebirth Australia

Mum of 3 and a half

Dear Justine

We all know there are better models of care for example in Holland but to transplant that model here, rapidly would be about as difficult / impossible as trying to change our culture to the extent of making Australian’s speak the Dutch language.

If we have birth centres, midwifery group practice, hospital based homebirth models and independent homebirth practitioners – then women have a range of options from which to choose.

If we prevent one of these then we are limiting women’s choices.

In solidarity, we need to be working together, to strengthen ALL options, which empower women and midwives to work together.

For credibility, it needs to be evidenced based and collaborative in approach. The Dutch collaborate.

Warmest regards,

Julie

Julie Clarke CBE

Childbirth and Parenting Educator