I agree with you Tina wholeheartedly! However I ask How do we muster the collective wisdom of those midwives into action in their individual workplaces and motivate them to unite to change? I see time and time again the excuse of increased workloads and lack of support from management as fixed obstacles preventing such organized action.
Late night reflections. Cheers Louise
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, October 13, 2003 10:28 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] who is really there for women ? long

In a message dated 13/10/03 1:55:01 PM AUS Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

I totally agree.  Collaboration is the way forward but medical control of midwifery is not collaboration, collaboration is a 2 way street not something dictated by Obstetrics.  Midwives must have an  scope of practice in their own right (and this is what the Dutch do).  We need to acknowledge that midwives are experts in the normal and that when conditions change they collaborate and refer to other providers.  This is what the ACMI national guidelines for referral and transfer are going to be used for.

   Howdy folks....
Justine....I couldn't agree more with your sentiments re: 'sleeping with the enemy'....sometimes I get so sick of all the talk of collaboration in midwifery care....collaboration currently is still about midwives towing the line with the medical model of childbirth....rarely do I see in practice true 'collaborative practice' as defined in some midwifery professional documents eg: as an "organisational model where authority and accountibilty for quality care is vested in the woman, the midwife and healthcare professionals, where each professional is autonomous when dealing with issues related to their respective professional practice. Those aspects of a woman's care, which require interdependence, are identified and addressed using a joint [collaborative] approach" (NBV 1999).

Maternity care is able to be shared with other medical practitioners and allied health professionals...but only MIDWIFERY can be shared with an other midwife, in partnership with women....I have trotted out for years now the need for midwifery in Australia to attain greater autonomy and freedom from medical control, to enable the profession to function more independently and effectively. Only when midwives can practice as bone fide providers of primary midwifery care will women have greater freedom over and range of choice of birthing experience.

Day after day now I witness midwives with EXPERT midwifery knowledge having to chase up far less experienced or knowledable 'Resident Medical Officers' (RMOs) for path forms to be signed....drug orders signed...tests ordered.....or even to make some decisons regarding a woman's care...having to explain to these RMO's....exactly what it is they are signing...."no no that test is for bla bla bla...what I need is a Bla bla bla....look i'll write it ...you sign it".....When is enough, enough of this ludicous system that supports second rate, fragmented, provider focused care....that is totally ignorant of the skills and knowledge that many many midwives are able to provide......

I have been saying for what seems ages now....that the political climate is SOOOOOO ripe for midwives to assert their presence....

Yours in reforming midwifery
Tina Pettigrew.
B Mid Student ACU Melb
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BMidStudentCollective/

" As we trust the flowers to open to new life

               - So we can trust birth"

Harriette Hartigan.