Hi Marilyn,
I first discovered breastfeeding was "supposed" to inhibit sex drive at a la
leche league meeting when my 3rd baby was a few weeks old -and there I was
obliviously waiting for my 6 week check up so I could really "get going
again!"

I do remember saying "help yourself Im asleep" (which did seem to offend but
I was too tired to give a damn on that particular occasion). but I never
found breastfeeding to inhibit desire or lubrication etc. I have found
myself the "odd one out" in discussions which tend to blame breastfeeding
for lack of interest. I actually felt really sexy -I had tits!! for the
first time, so I guess we can be victims of our conditioning whether it is
the madonna whore effect which some mums explain means they dont feel that
they can equate being a mother with being spontaneous, or who the breasts
"belong" to  - me actually!

I did find the birth experience made a difference to how I felt - especially
as I mentioned, how many rubber gloved fingers had been in my vagina. And,
like Barb mentioned - a bit of household help could be a turn on - I read
somewhere the words of a psycoanalyst who said "show me an impeccable
housewife and I will show you a woman with severe sexual hangups ." I often
used this to "justify" my postponement of household duties asking my husband
"well, do you want a WIFE (Washing Ironing F'ing Etc) or lover? Then whilst
nursing in a postnatal ward in NZ one day, the charge nurse and I returned
from lunch to a student midwife saying "XXXX has upset your ladies". It
turned out that XXX had tidied up the caesarean ladies -I used to leave
their slippers etc in easy reach -and she had them all sitting up neat and
tidy when they wanted to rest and they were collectively crying. The Charge
nurse grinned and quoted the famous psychoanalist saying "well you know what
they say...." the next weekend as I came on duty I was greeted by the charge
nurse in stitches -Apparently XXXs husband had been picked during the week -
for flashing outside the Girls High school !!

Pinky

Pinky