I think all women experiencing the loss of a baby, whether intentional (Abby, please don't talk of women killing their babies in violent ways, the potential for distress is so great for what is an agonising choice) or accidental, require our compassion and respect. Women's circumstances dictate their choices, all too often they experience extreme anguish in whichever choice they make. (And I do believe government should fund these choices, just as it should fund all choices for maternity services and drug detox and rehab and clean needle and injecting programs.) Most certainly they will make their choice based on what is best for all around them, including their unborn baby (See Leslie Cannold's book The Abortion Myth: feminism, abortion and the hard choices women make).

Sometimes these choices are overrun by the circumstances themselves, and certainly substance addiction gives rise to a lack of choice through its addictive nature. It is a hard and judgmental nature that will blame a woman in this instance, since her life is probably one of despair and poverty, abuse and worthlessness. But again, we are increasingly a judgmental and unempathic world.

Why can't we just support women, help them to birth into health and wealth, provide for their choices, help them get off drugs and find a truly reliable and effective means of contraception......

Abby and Toby wrote:

> Maybe this could deter illegal drug use in pregnancy though.......

I agree that this is what they are trying to do, but it still seems ironic,
that a woman can choose to have her baby killed but a woman can't
"accidentally" kill her baby by drug use.
I know we all have differing views on abortion, but other people have got to
see the ridiculousness of this. I mean, abortion is a violent act resulting
in the death of a baby............surely, that is equal to a drug addict
causing the death of her newborn.
I just find it hypocritical. Thousands of women choose to have their babies
killed and it's fine, sometimes the government pays for it to happen. Yet
this woman who is a drug addict, "accidentally" causes the death of her baby
and she is facing life in prison??? I just don't think it makes sense.
I think too, that there are heaps of other ways of deterring drug use eg
support before, during and after pregnancy, better info etc etc.

Love Abby