To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 10:57 AM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Students, training and other things was Re: uterinerupture 1998

Abby, if I didn't think I was trying to impart a degree of wisdom, and
assist students to find their own wisdom, together with the women (heard
of the follow-through experience???) and the lovely midwives in
hospitals who assist them with onsite learning, and the VERY occassional
homebirth midwife who can take a student... then I would give it up.
With (diminishing) respect, evaluate a curriculum or two, enrol in a
midwifery program, and don't generalise what you see in a workshop of 10
midwives to what is taught in every curriculum in Australia.

Every curriculum I have evaluated has a focus on non-intervention for
'normal' childbearing and that includes programs from 4 states in
Australia, both postgraduate and undergraduate. I have participated in
curriculum development at undergraduate, grad dip and masters level
midwifery and used programs from NZ, Holland, Scandinavia and UK and
Canada for inspiration and international comparison. And I know many
colleagues in other universities who have done the same. In addition, we
now have Standards to which we are held that are based in international
benchmarks for midwifery education, and there are moves now to develop
more national benchmarks in what is offered in midwifery programs. Your
criticisms are hollow in the face of this real work. Your rhetoric is
empty of real examples.

My students learn active birth, pelvic mapping, physiological processes,
support for all of this and many have also been to 'workshops' with ten
midwives and say they learned little new that wasn't offered in their
program..... hmmm. I encourage them to go, though, because they
sometimes bring something new back for me, too.

As to the third world, yes, I have seen the Birthrites video, too, it is
wonderful, but only a very small sample of what is out there and
certainly can't be generalised to the rest of the world. Through ICM/WHO
documents etc as well as direct communication with women and midwives
know that the problems in many countries cannot be fixed with a few
herbs, no matter how good their public health and nutrition. Have a look
at another fabulous video "Celebrations" about the role of midwives
across cultures and contexts. Women die because they don't have access
to a 'facility' that can offer them antibiotics, anaesthesia and
operative birth. They die of tetanus and pnuemonia, of septicaemia and
blood loss, of obstructed labour and AIDS. Planting crops and fixing
plumbing is one aspect of what is needed here, but good nutrition and
education take two-three generations to improve the health of a
population. In the meantime these individual women are just trying to
stay alive.

Women in these contexts want good drugs, skilled users of instruments
and operative procedures, immunisation and contraception, safe abortion,
nutritional supplements and freedom from patriarchal, economic,
religious and political oppression. They want TBAs with western as well
as traditional learning, they want access to western trained doctors and
midwives, nurses and dentists, etc. Midwifery cannot stand alone to
deliver, we need to put aside a moral highground and work with all
sectors of health and education, etc to achieve outcomes in thees
contexts.

Dare I say it, the same is true here. In many, many gov't reports women
in Australia want an integrated maternity service that uses the best
talents of all practitioners working together to offer choice (including
all the unpalatable ones like epidural, induction and LUSCS on demand,
all of which I would cringe at).

Yes, midwives are 'trained' differently now. Now we have to learn how to
be discerning consumers of research, to critique all forms of dogma, to
understand the physiology, not just rote-learn something, we must also
understand a rationale for actions and learn to be fully accountable for
them, we must commit to lifelong learning, to participate in quality
improvement of services, and to work in a multi-disciplinary environment
with a wide variety of women. We no longer have the excuse of this is
the way I was taught.... I believe we are coming to quite a good
balance, though we are not there yet. I look forward to the day when
there are enough homebirths for students to participate in, enough
homebirth midwives for them to learn from, and enough midwife-led
programs for them to work in whilst in hospitals. For now, we don't have
that, but we sure teach students what that is about. Every program I
have read has whole units devoted to political issues and professional
issues in midwifery and maternity. The scope is much wider than ever
before. And yes, we do give students survival skills and knowledge for
working in the system, would you have us sacrifice them? It is our duty
to them to support and help them survive the system, while assisting
them to decide what is bad about it... and what is good (and there is
some good out there). I don't think it's true to say a lot of
universities teach students how to intervene, or fail to impart
reverence and trust. I wouldn't presume to know what goes on in
individual classrooms because I am not there. And many graduates I speak
to, many lecturers, and many students have a very midwifery philosophy
and strive hard to keep that alive. Perhaps we can't give them every
tool, no one knows everything, and our training programs are short but
overstuffed with content. Perhaps we could improve, and we continually
strive to.

Now, give me some examples. Back yourself up. What traditional ways are
you talking about specifically? What specific wisdom is missing and how
would you provide it? Not just a blanket statement like working with
women, this has no meaning beyond what the individual determines it to
mean, give an example. Teach me.

What traditional herbs would prevent PPH (we use one, ergot, that has
been in use for 4000 years but is now much more reliable quality because
of what modern pharmacology has done to it) and where is the proof?

Where are you going to find independent midwives to apprentice the 1500
midwives + per year we need (Vic)? Where are you going to find the women
willing to have students follow them through, because we are certainly
having problems doing this now?

Abby, please, get out there and find some good examples for us. We think
we have many of them on offer, poorly resourced and always under
pressure they may be, but we do have them. We mightn't live up to your
ideals, but there are many midwives trying hard to change the system,
often in the face of considerable apathy and antipathy from the women of
their communities......

I think it's time I quit midwifery, really. Too hard, too painful. Trish

http://www.nod32.com