From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2005 12:41 PM
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Subject: Re: Re: [ozmidwifery] Northern Rivers

Hi Justine and everyone,

I know I should complain, I tell all my clients to complain when things have
been terrible. Until recently I found it very difficult to even think about
what happened. I have had the forms to get my records for ages but am a
little scared to read through them. I would like to know what the Ob had to
say for himself.

It is really hard to get anywhere with the HCCC from my experience. My
sister had a terrible experience just over 18months ago, some may recall me
posting, and she put in a complaint right away and pretty much she was told
"too bad, so sad". She is now claiming for damages and charging the hospital
with some kind of entrapment, though it is all through a private lawyer and
costing them heaps. All she really wants is an apology and some one to say
they were wrong.

A friend of mine was at a workshop on working with women that had been
sexually abused. There was counsellors, nurses, psychologists, social
workers etc etc there. She bought up the topic of sexual abuse during birth
and most of them laughed saying that was impossible because it is what
doctors and midwives need to do. Even the facilitator thought she was
overreacting when she commented that for a lot of women the first time they
are violated sexually is while they are birthing. I personally cannot see
how it is any different just because it is a doctor or midwife.

I will think more about pursuing the HCCC, but when I have mentioned it to
my early childhood nurse ( just after it happened), my private Ob, the
mental health team and my counsellor they all sort of dismissed it because
the nurse and the Ob were 'professionals' just doing their job.

Love Abby