I never burped my daughter at all, I seem to recall trying a few times and
finding it impossible and pointless. I have friends though were it works easily
and clearly makes  a huge difference to the baby's comfort. Interestingly
enough these are not babes that need to woken up to burp and most likely would
not sleep until they had been burped. Seems to me like one of those things
where women should know to give it a go if they want to and then do what works
for them and their baby.

cheers
Jo

At 7:40 AM +0000 5/11/05, wump fish wrote:
>What do you wise women think about winding/burping babies. I am very aware
>that I am totally confusing women and providing them with information which
>conflicts with my colleagues. I would love to hear what information you give
>women about this subject.
>
>My standpoint at the moment (more than willing to change it) is that for most
>babies winding is unnecessary and if they fall asleep at the breast just leave
>them. Rather than sitting them up and jiggling them about = waking them up all
>over again etc. Other cultures do not wind/burp babies. Wind will find it's
>own way out.
>
>Please correct me - I would love to hear alternative theories.
>
>Rachel

Jo Bourne
Virtual Artists Pty Ltd