Yeh, Janet but how do we make talking therapies available to the women who need them and who do you see is the person who should be providing this 'therapy' and when
Andrea
On 04/02/2006, at 11:19 AM, Janet Fraser wrote:

I remember it but I disagree with it entirely. It struck me as no more logical and useful than the obstetric refusal to offer OFP because a study showing a crude, almost silly form of it didn't have the desired effect. (10mins a day on hands and knees rather than the lifestyle operation that is true OFP)
Talking therapies are pretty much the only "cure" for PTSD and that's been well demonstrated over and over. The one study showing otherwise holds no weight.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2006 10:58 AM
Subject: RE: [ozmidwifery] Post cs support

I believe there is some research out there that looked at de-briefing women after birth, particularly traumatic births.  As I remember it, the research did not show that this debriefing had particularly helpful outcomes.  Of course it is all in the Who, the When and the How.  Does anyone remember it?  Mary Murphy

Andrea wrote:

Any suggestions. Should all women have a follow up appointment with the midwife who was at her birth, is this appropriate as they may have been part of the problem, should all women have a follow up appointment but the woman be allowed to choose who she wants the appointment with, at what stage would this be appropriate, 2 weeks, 8 weeks 3 months? How does this fit with the M&CH nurses who are now involved in the woman's on going care? How does her doctor, be it her own GP, obst or the one who attended (or not) her birth  be involved in this?