From: "Jo Bourne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2006 12:33 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Post cs support

Talking therapies may be the only "cure", that certainly sounds right to me.
However I can't imagine having been raped, assaulted OR traumatised by my
birth experience and then wanting to do that talking in the place or with
the people where it happened. Perhaps in the last stages of healing, as a
final letting go/closure thing, but certainly not in the very first days of
the shock. I did not have a remotely traumatic birth experience but have had
other traumas in my life and have had a lot of talking to do about them, I
can't think of one occasion I wanted to go back to the person/place that was
the source of the trauma.

At 11:19 AM +1100 4/2/06, Janet Fraser wrote:
>I remember it but I disagree with it entirely. It struck me as no more
logical and useful than the obstetric refusal to offer OFP because a study
showing a crude, almost silly form of it didn't have the desired effect.
(10mins a day on hands and knees rather than the lifestyle operation that is
true OFP)
>Talking therapies are pretty much the only "cure" for PTSD and that's been
well demonstrated over and over. The one study showing otherwise holds no
weight.

after birth, particularly traumatic births.  As I remember it, the research
did not show that this debriefing had particularly helpful outcomes.  Of
course it is all in the Who, the When and the How.  Does anyone remember it?
Mary Murphy

>Andrea wrote:
>Any suggestions. Should all women have a follow up appointment with the
midwife who was at her birth, is this appropriate as they may have been part
of the problem, should all women have a follow up appointment but the woman
be allowed to choose who she wants the appointment with, at what stage would
this be appropriate, 2 weeks, 8 weeks 3 months? How does this fit with the
M&CH nurses who are now involved in the woman's on going care? How does her
doctor, be it her own GP, obst or the one who attended (or not) her birth
be involved in this?

--
Jo Bourne
Virtual Artists Pty Ltd