Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 11:30 AM
Subject: RE: [ozmidwifery] FYI news article

Hi Louise and others,

No eating alive to be done from here J  but I did want to comment on this one…the thing I think I find most offensive about all of this is that it just carries on the charade that the women are paying for, and therefore getting the ‘best’ care.  Women have been conned into thinking that if they pay the highest fees for the PHI, and then pay the biggest gap payment for the ‘best’ obstetrician, go to the ‘best’ hospital, they will have the best, and therefore the safest birth.  This plan just carries that little lie on, by drawing more women into the system, and into this one hospital in particular, when the cold hard reality is that less than one in three of them is going to give birth to their babies through their vagina anyway, and of those one in three, how many are going to be straightforward?  My sources tell me that the c/s rate for primips is up around 70%...so how many women are going to be conned into thinking that they will get this great hotel stay, and then just be glad they were in the hospital to start with, because they ‘needed’ a caesarean…

Just makes me sad

Tania