Hi,

I'd love to see some flyers or a website on that conference.

Barb
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2006 11:47 AM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] was I need to vent!!! now WYETH???

I don't know if it still happens now but about 8 years ago a formula company rep used to sponsor a Dom meeting in Adelaide with a lunch at a local cafe. I was told it was okay as he didn't put any signs up at the lunch. I tried to explain that this guy had all of these Dom midwives doing his advertising for him as he gave them dairies, measuring tapes etc, etc. So women would see that when they were visited. For that amount of business generated the formula company's way I said I wouldn't be so cheap and instead of a 10 buck lunch I would want an overseas holiday (just joking but you get my drift). I just don't think some people see or want to see, the big picture and think well we don't get anything for free and isn't this nice.

Just recently some flyers came for a seminar on infant sleep and nutrition sponsored by a formula company with doctors and dieticians of a children's hospital speaking at it. They were left there for midwives and parent ed teachers to attend. They are charging a few dollars which is new. So now you have to pay to spread their word.

There is no such thing as a free lunch and there are always strings attached.
Jackie