Now, Shaughn,

You'll be writing all that to the Victorian Department of Human Services, won't you?  Well said!

Barb
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2006 7:26 PM
Subject: RE: [ozmidwifery] was I need to vent!!! now WYETH???

Many doctors have been saying for many years that they are not swayed by pharmaceuticals advertising/giveaways/education sponsorhips. If there is not a substantial financial benefit to these companies – why do they use these tactics?  Because they are in business and wouldn’t spend the money if they didn’t see a business benefit to them.  Not so long ago these companies used to give hospitals the ABM (artificial baby milk) free – why? Not because they were philanthropists but because they knew that parents would go out and buy what they saw in the hospital (because that MUST be best) SO they knew this would boost their business market and hence profit.  These companies are clever marketers and they know how to put their brand name in front of us – education sessions are an important advertising strategy. They are a subtle way to get around the WHO Code principles.

Who pays for the education if a manufacturer of artificial baby milk is sponsoring the education?  Parents!

I believe we, personally, and our employers need to be responsible for our education not manufacturers of artificial baby milk and certainly not parents.   Instead of sponsoring education programmes for health professionals why don’t they lower the price to parents who have made the choice to artificially feed?  Or, why don’t they send the money anonymously for the use of education of health professionals involved in infant feeding?  Because this is an ADVERTISING tactic (and probably tax deductible).  Why not find an independent dietician or other health professional to educate us on the pros and cons of the various brands? Why not ask our hospital’s dietician to research these products and give us an education session?

I believe that health professionals need to stand up and say NO to being educated by any particular ABM/pharmaceutical manufacturer.  Many of us don’t believe doctors should be wined, dined and supported in any monetary form by pharmaceutical companies – why would we think that educational events are any different?  Pharmaceutical companies use various tactics dependent on the market or country they are in and what latitude they are allowed.  We can already see the limits being pushed by a particular company with their ‘toddler milk’ advertising – they are beginning to sneak under the radar and we must once again become vigilant!

Sponsored education sessions may seem innocent in themselves but we do need to remember that breastmilk lacks the backing money that these companies can afford.   This lack is the reason why the WHO Code was initiated in the first place and why there is a need to be vigilant.

Shaughn