I remember way back in SQL Server 2008 they introduced geospacial data
and queries that may make this sort of stuff easy.  There were a few
demos floating around on how to interact with this sort of data, which
I'm sure you could google up without much effort.  Unfortunately I
haven't had the joy of playing with it myself, so that's as far as I can
take you.

Of course, it would introduce a dependence on SQL Server to provide all
the grunt, which may not be acceptable for your solution.

Carl.

Carl Scarlett

Senior .NET/WPF Developer, UX Designer | Genesis

Enterprise Services | Bankwest