If you have SQL Server around, why don't you import the shape files into
SQL (http://www.sharpgis.net/page/SQL-Server-2008-Spatial-Tools.aspx). Then
you can do use the Reduce function to reduce the complexity of the shape to
something suitable for you then use STAsText() to get the GEO as "well
known text (WKT)" (it's a standard spatial format). I think you'll find
parsing the WKT quite simple - it's basically a list of points for each
polygon.

So you end up with a SQL statement something like:

SELECT TOP 1 GEO.Reduce(100).STAsText() FROM Building

Adjust the reduce value suitably for whatever quality you need the polygon
in. You can then just grab the WKT and use it in your app. i.e. you don't
actually need to have any SQL Server dependency in the app.

I still think you should look at using DeepEarth to then display the geo -
you'll save a HEAP of time handling zooming panning etc and you can easily
create DeepEarth polygons from the WKT.

Richard