In this example it is making Map Tiles.... correct

but the point is... that you don't need to have the data in SQL Server to
use the SQL Spacial functionality....
it shows how easily you can use it via C# and this data could be coming
from anywhere, then you can access the funtionality of the SQL Spiacial
features in your code...

e.g. say Greg has a list of data for towns/cities as points and an "int"
for the population of that city/town...
on a mouse over he may with to make a service that can convert that point
to a circle that has a radius that is relitive to the size of the
population of that town/city

you may wish to have all the data loaded by default... or you may have
quite a large amount of data for a mouse over display and you may wish to
the pull that data (and maybe manipulate it as well) on demand....

so yes in that example it is generating map tiles... but with a bit of
imagination the exmaple can be applied in many ways... not just Map Tile
Generation

ayway the point of the link is that you can use all this functionality with
data from anywhere, not just data sitting in a MS SQL 2008 Db