Chaps, I found some free downloads of shapefiles for various states and
countries, but then I had to go looking for a managed code library that can
manipulate shp, prj and dbx files. I found SharpMap and DotSpatial which
look very impressive for apps with maps, but it's huge overkill for me. I
just need simple regions with colours and selection, so perhaps it's best
just to render the graphics myself with hit-test and simple animations. All
I have to do now is find some country and state shapes in an open format
(preferably XML). Simplified shapes would be fine of course as I don't need
the 3 seconds of arc accuracy of some of the shapefiles I've seen. I'll
report back when I make any progress on this -- Greg