David Chmelik posted on Sat, 23 Dec 2023 10:29:13 -0000 (UTC) as
excerpted:

> On Fri, 22 Dec 2023 23:52:29 -0000 (UTC), Duncan wrote:
>> Duncan posted on Mon, 28 Aug 2023 12:06:32 -0000 (UTC) as excerpted:
>>> David Chmelik posted on Sun, 27 Aug 2023 14:43:08 -0700 as excerpted:

>> Not sure why that GUI method isn't working for you, but...
>
> I don't use git but still can't move anything in last few/couple stable
> pan versions (0.154, 0.155, ...) even after deleting preferences.xml
> (could move everything in all previous pan versions for 10+ years).

>>> The other alternative is to manually edit the preferences.xml file (in
>>> ~/.pan2, with pan closed of course).  Make a backup of the file before
>>> you edit it just in case you screw up the edit, then open it in a text
>>> editor and look for lines like the following (where you replace date
>>> with whatever column name you want to change and nnn is the width in
>>> pixels, that being the number you'd change):
>>>
>>> <int name='header-pane-date-column-width' value='nnn'/>
>
> I'm talking about panes and headers.  Headers aren't so important I'd
> edit a file to set, but since earlier this year I can no longer increase
> groups pane to see longer names, and no longer decrease message pane to
> see more article lines.  Since happened on a few stable versions, maybe
> GTK broke.

So current status, component sizes/positions are behaving as if they're
hard-coded.  I'm mentioning editing preferences.xml and you tried deleting
it, but haven't yet tried editing it.

I agree that it's probably gtk at this point.  It seems to be using some
sort of default sizes and the normal mechanisms for GUI adjustment aren't
working.  Deleting preference.xml just reverts to defaults, which is what
it's using anyway, so doesn't change that issue.

But I'm still curious as to whether it's ignoring what's set in
preferences.xml settings entirely, so setting something different there
won't do anything -- effectively hard-coded component sizes and locations
-- or if it'll still obey preferences.xml if those locations are changed
manually.

Also noting that while I mentioned header pane column widths, the pane
divider positions (and by implication pane sizes  if the main window stays
the same size) are stored in preferences.xml as well, and thus can be
edited there.  Those settings along with their specific values here:

<int name='main-window-hpane-position' value='547'/>
<int name='main-window-vpane-position' value='878'/>
<int name='sep-vpane-position' value='266'/>

So the question then is, if with pan closed you edit those values in your
preferences.xml, does pan honor the new values when set manually (broken
GUI config but it'll take different settings if set manually) or revert to
its defaults (effectively hard-coded, ignoring the preferences.xml
settings entirely)?

Meanwhile, what about trying the tabbed interface instead of the paned
interface?  View > Layout > Tabbed Layout.  Then you can use the hotkeys
(listed in the same menu) to jump between tabs.  Of course that might not
work well with the way you use pan but you can switch back to paned layout
if you don't like tabbed, and it seems to me that's one way to eliminate
the problems with pane sizes.

Alternatively, in paned layout you can toggle individual panes on and off
in the same memu (or with the associated hotkeys displayed there),
altering the sizes of the remaining panes.  With any luck that'll give you
more workable sizes.