Cde Ndebele, Seroke and Nkrumah

Thami ka plaatjie  penned an open letter to Julias Malema wherein he pleaded
with him not to form a new rival political formation against the ANC. In his
letter he wrote

"Angry with the ANC and disgusted by the extent to which the communists had
infiltrated its ranks, a crop of youth leaguers based in Orlando broke ranks
with the ANC in 1958. Before they could finalise their decision they approached
AP Mda, one of the founders of the ANC Youth League and a close alter-ego of
Anton Lembede, for counsel. Mda advised that the youth should work within the
ranks of the ANC and systematically advocate their views' Their leader, Robert
Sobukwe, challenged the advice and argued that: "Mda's ideas are no longer
sacrosanct."

He wrote this letter in his counsel to Malema to learn from historical
antecedent that rival formations against the ANC would always fail. Strangely,
if you follow his argument from the above cited passage, he ends his narrative
of the so called 'crop of youth leaguers based in Orlando'  without saying that
the PAC did not succeed because Mda had advised that youth " should work within
the ranks of the ANC and systematically advocate their views'.  As he points
out that Sobukwe didn't believe in the sacrosanctity of the views of Mda. One
would have expected the letter to tell us that the challenge of the
infiltration of the communist within the ranks of the ANC in the 1950's was
misguided. This is a point which Thami is eluding if not glossing over it. I
have learned that he is writing a biography of Sobukwe, some of the findings of
his research should be taken with the pinch of the salt. For instance, in the
documentary of Sobuwe which was screened by SABC: he says there were some
attempts to get Sobukwe escaped to exile, which Sobuwe rejected. Had he derided
Sobukwe, I would have waited with keen interest to read his biography of
Sobukwe. Some few years ago, I spoke to him about disbanding PAM and coming
back to the PAC, he said to me: ' the wounds of our division are so deep, they
need some time to heal" he continued " we should always venerate Sobuwe"

It seems that he is at pains to enter the fray of the community of PAC
detractors. It is one thing to cherish certain ethos, and another thing to join
the ranks of those with antithetical views of what you have believed in. some
years before 1994, Dr Ziba Jiyane who was the secretary general of the IFP
said: " the IFP believes that there is only one race and the race is the human
race". This plagiarism of the PAC values was indicative of an embedded PAC's
philosophy within himself Jiyane.Thami is no different to other dissidents, I
believe he has some emotional conflict between Charterism and Pan Africanism.
This may be covert, but the man himself knows what he believes in. this draws
me to one Biblical Jonah who was sent to Nineveh but decided to change his
trip. The tempest did not give him rest. As a writer and a  researcher, Thami
will always find  difficulties in reconciling Charterism and Pan Africanism,
unless he has discarded Pan Africanism completely. Perhaps the fact that we are
not in government wherein people can reap from the state's accruals such as
lucrative government positions and tenders, people see that staying within the
PAC is a waste of their talents.

I could be wrong in my assessment, please give me your views.

kind regards
Mduduzi Sibeko
Distribution Customer Service Coordinator

[cid:image001.png@01CE74A9.5A37E270]
T +27-11-724-9300/01
C +27-71-101-2595
F 086-754-2176
E  msib...@randwater.co.za
www.randwater.co.za

This email and any accompanying attachments may contain confidential and
proprietary information. This information is private and protected by law and,
accordingly, if you are not the intended recipient, you are requested to delete
this entire communication immediately and are notified that any disclosure,
copying or distribution of or taking any action based on this information is
prohibited.

Emails cannot be guaranteed to be secure or free of errors or viruses. The
sender does not accept any liability or responsibility for any interception,
corruption, destruction, loss, late arrival or incompleteness of or tampering
or interference with any of the information contained in this email or for its
incorrect delivery or non-delivery for whatsoever reason or for its effect on
any electronic device of the recipient. Views and opinions expressed or implied
in this email are those of the sender unless clearly stated as being that of
Rand Water. If verification of this email or any attachment is required, please
request a hard-copy version.

Report illegal or suspicious activities! Use the Anti-Corruption Hotline -
phone toll free 0800 212 364

Sending your posting to payco@googlegroups.com

You can also visit http://groups.google.com/group/payco

Visit our website at www.mayihlome.wordpress.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Pan
Africanist Youth Congress" group.
to payco+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.