I had a similar problem with a different device but my solution might help.  Put the
software disk in the computer without opening it which is usually accomplished when
inserting a CD-ROM by holding down the shift key a few  after inserting the disk.
Use the windows search function from the start menu to search for USB*, that's got an
asterisk after the usb if punctuation is turned off, and be sure you are searching on
the program disk.  If a file is found, either note the location carefully or copy it
to someplace easy to get to.  Then disconnect the usb connection to your XM device,
reconnect it, and when the missing file prompt comes up, point it to the usb file you
have found.  Alternatively, you might, if you find a separate driver with USB in it
on your program disk, copy it directly to the drivers folder in windows, but knowing
where this is could be a bit trickier.  I think it is under windows\system32\drivers
on my machine, but I wouldn't want to generalize given my limited knowledge.
This may all prove to be irrelevant, but it was the solution I found to a similar
though different problem.
RD