Wonder if I dare wade into this. obviously [EMAIL PROTECTED] about to, first with comments on scripting and pricing, second with general comments about ITunes.

Surely what Brian and others charge for their efforts must reflect some notion of the work done and time taken. Above that, it's what the market will stand, and maybe they do know there market, or I'd hope so. There are probably many products where the price doesn't much reflect effort put into their production, but maybe there marketing? I believe much of Apples ITunes and IPod idea had been thought up before and maybe even patented, but nonetheless it was Apple that combined all this into a product and a service who's success undoubtedly has more to do with design and branding which, I don't hold a very high regard for, but seems to be the way the world works. Maybe Brian and other - nameless people around the JFW community market themselves as 'brands' too? So you pays your money and takes your choice. Still other scripting options are now with us and there are signs that the hitherto rather cliquey JFW scripting community is beginning to open up with training on option and an independent cetral source for scripts. Competition is no bad thing!

More on topic here, Personally I'm not into ITunes at all and I've steered clear of protected formats and DRM, meaning I stick with CDS and ripping those for personal use only and find myself content to stick with simpler options such as the Zen Players; for my purposes much better value! Some folks are easily satisfied! Until recently there was a good reason for not being besotted with Apple's entisements: lack of accessability. Even now that one's been substantially solved I still find myself not being drawn into owning what seems like a fashion accessory as much as a good player, which is what the IPods seem to be to me.

The use of AAC is of course good, but if I could use that format for storing books on another device then I'd likely go for that. Particularly MP4b which if I know what I'm on about does seem to offer navigation within files rather than a more complicated structure as with DAISY. Then I;I'm straying OT here.

Cheers,
Ray.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Henrichsen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: J-Tunes 4.0 is released!

I am not a big jaws user, though I own version nine. But didn't Jim
Snowbarger and others who write scripts use to charge somewhere around $25
or so for their scripts?
I could see paying 25 or $30. That makes sense to me, but paying as much as
I paid for Norton ghost 12, which is clearly a much more complex program
just seems wrong to me.
Still, if he can get $70 for his scripts, more power to him.
I have always been impressed with the guy. I just wish he'd rethink his
price structure.
Regarding itunes being free, I suppose that one could assume that that was
figured into the price of the Ipod, somehow, since you need itunes to even
use the thing.
But a 4gb ipod is only $100. That should make itunes pretty cheap if you
figure it as part of the package.
Still, it is a much more complicated program than is the JTunes script or
the 40 dollar antivirus program I use.

Jonathan Mosen List Founder