On 25/07/17 03:58, Zhenghaomian wrote:
> The point I would like to raise is how to deal with PCEP with other
> protocols. Currently it seems that there is some competition with BGP in
> link state (both binary but Optical/MW CANNOT run BGP), and also with
> Netconf/RESTconf on device configuration (well they are text).

I would like to dispel the notion that NETCONF/RESTCONF are inherently
text-based. While they operate on XML Information Set and their
currently-standardized transports are based on JSON/XML, there is no
reason why you cannot use session-negotiated binary schema-informed
encoding, which can in fact be more compact than PCEP.

For NETCONF all you need to do is change the encoding at the Messages
layer (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6241#section-1.2). You can
negotiate that at session setup time, for example using the approach
proposed in https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-varga-netconf-exi-capability.

Regards,
Robert