On Mon, 8 Oct 2007, Olivier Heinry wrote:

Why not "Brouillon"? Something you draw in a rush "sur le coin de la
table" and almost illegible?

Yeah. We could also call it a napkin, while we're at it, but "brouillon" is plenty good.

"Ébauche" means something much more elaborated, although not completed yet.

I don't know. When I was in any grade from 3 to 13, they asked us to make a brouillon and then to recopy it "au propre". It ended up that my brouillon was often nearly as clean as the "propre" and certainly, by the time any other person saw it, it was finished. If I lacked time, the propre was not finished and the brouillon was. The recopy-rush was just a hand-demolishing experience. It's the sado-maso aspect of high school culture.

My 2 thunes...

Mes 2 piastres.