On Thu, 10 Sep 2009, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

You can get all of the above (except onMouseUp behavior) using
data structures.  Really, there should just be a way to "deputize" a
ds array as a Pd array usable by [tabread] and the like.
So if you have a subpatch with
[struct blah float x array some_array]
you could put the following in the same subpatch:
[deputize some_array]
And now [tabwrite~ some_array]
will work.

I don't get the point of it. there is already a hidden struct called 'float' defined by pd in a hidden patch (which doesn't appear in the window list) upon startup. Afaik this is a sign that [table] is making something that can be used as a DS array. Having it vice-versa shouldn't need something like [deputize]. However, such a new object class would be nice for introducing a "stride factor", e.g. if you have a struct of several elements such as "float x float y float z" and you want [tabwrite~] to use only z and not x nor y; this is unless it would be better to make it an option in every array-using class, or to make it an object-class that does something else: e.g. [virtualarray foo bar y] would make a fake "bar" array that is actually a subpart of foo such that modifying bar also modifies that subpart of foo (not a copy of it). This is like the VIEW feature of the SQL language.

But I don't know the inner workings of Pd either, so I'm not sure how
feasible this is.

Your suggestion prompted me to have an idea which in turn sounds like the kind of API change that could go hand-in-hand with a replacement to the "64-bit fixes" of Pd 0.41, but I'd have to think about it more. It would be a generic feature for setting the spacing between relevant elements in an array, in bytes. But it may involve too many changes at once for me to be comfortable with.

I know this is probably flawed for I know not the inner technical workings of Pd, or for its purposes, there are other more suitable methods for gui interaction, but is any of this possible? cheers

Well, if you think about the fact that Pd 0.41 fixes the 64-bit problems by adding 100% waste (thus the resulting array wastes 50% of its space), you can guess that it's because it wasn't easy making an efficient fix, therefore it's probably hard to make the [deputize] I suggested; however, it's probably easy to make the [deputize] you suggest (?), but I haven't tried and I don't know what it would involve, i just know that as long as your struct has only one element in it, all versions of Pd so far have their internals fairly ready to accept such a feature.