Hi!

Here's a little trick I've been taught by people who know :).

Instead of using any of sharpening filters you can do something
slightly different:

1. You're given the single layer image.
2. Duplicate that layer.  That is Menu->Layer->Duplicate Layer.
3. On the copied layer (usually it is called Background Copy I think)
press Ctrl-Shift-U or Menu->Adjust Color->Remove Color
4. Apply then Menu->Filter->Other->High Pass filter. The filter
parameter would be the sharpening value. I usually choose value
between 0.2 to 0.5. The bigger the value the worse is the result with
respect to grain popping out, etc. The smaller the parameter - the
smoother the outcome. It is often useful when choosing
the value to take a look on specific part of the image under some
magnification. For my 3000x2000 scans I use 100% or 200%.
5. On layers tab choose "Overlay" instead of "Normal".
6. Flatten the image.

You're done.

Advantages of this procedure are:
1. Once you've applied the high pass filter before you merge the
layers, you could take a Blur Tool brush and blur out these parts
that you don't want to sharpen. It takes some effort but sometimes
it is useful.
2. Usually when any of the sharpening filters is applied some
undesired results come out. As I said, graininess becomes more
apparent. Also usually sharpening filters are not subtle if you will.
Here you have very fine control and sometimes it is quite difficult to
tell whether any sharpening was applied all together.
3. This procedure can be applied several times with cumulative effect
far outweighing the undesirable side effects. If you were to apply
unsharp mask twice on the same image in my experience the result is
usually quite ugly.

Your mileage can obviously vary :).

---
Boris Liberman