Peter wrote:

"So it seems
reasonable that Pentax, at first, doesn't want to
monkey with some camera that will only appeal to
Pentaxians."

REPLY
Isn't that exactly what they have done? I believe that theres a certain number of
people that will buy a Pentax DSLR regardless. And taht are those who will buy the
*ist D.

Peter:
"If an LX with AF was their new DSLR, how
many would they sell?"

REPLY:
It will be expensive to sell for this market segment. You don't have to be
outrageously expensive to catch the buyers imagination. Just look at the Optio S; an
obvious success story from it conception.

 Peter:
ALSO, I asked this question earlier, but I'm curious
how successful the MZ-S is (or was on it's release)?
Not many stores that I've been to in Canada or the
U.S. carries them regularly, but they carry plenty of
Pentax digital P&S's.

Reply:
The MZ-S is niche product. It is not designed to shift large volumes. It is a "two
handed" camera that is the natural extension, if not concusion, to the interface
pioneered by the original Asahi Pentax from 1959. It also have built quality to appeal
to traditionalists.

Peter:
Digital is a different ball of wax, so while the *ist
D is a "me too" camera to many (I like it), this is
what I'd expect given this market.

REPLY:
But the question is: how many buy mee too products except those married to the brand?

Pål