----- Original Message -----
From: "Pål Jensen"
Subject: Re: Dedicated lenses for DSLR

> I think the *ist D is cutting edge both in packaging and in technology.
The AF is basically batter than the competition. The feature level is very
high for its segment and there no reason to assume that image quality won't
be up to the standards of other 6mp camera. It just look too much "me too"
to get any attention. Nobody visiting a camera shop will notice the *ist D,
unless the salesman push it, as it drowns among the cheap lookalikes.
> What will happen based on Pentax history is that the *ist D will flop at
the same time as the Optio range are huge sucesses. This makes Pentax stop
investing much in the slr line and spend the resources elsewhere. If the
*ist is sucessful, Pentax will keep it running forever, like the K1000 and
the LX, until the interest dwindle to nothing. Hopefully, they will be
moderate sucesses so that Pentax sees it worth improving. :o)

Where we disagree is that the *ist D is derivitive in styling. I just don't
see where you are coming from there. All SLR cameras look pretty much like
each other anyway, so I don't see how a camera that looks like a camera can
be hurt by the fact that it looks like a camera.
There are a few similarities in the control layout between the *ist D and a
Nikon, perhaps you have a better idea of where those controls could have
been put where they would still have made ergonomic sense.
BTW, isn't the F80 a film camera? Why would someone looking for a digital
SLR be swayed by a film camera anyway? They aren't looking at the equipment
on that shelf.

William Robb