Pål wrote:

"If the *ist is sucessful, Pentax will
> keep it running forever, like the K1000 and the LX,
> until the interest dwindle to nothing. Hopefully,
> they will be moderate sucesses so that Pentax sees
> it worth improving."

I can't help not to think how similar SLR's looked in
the 70's & early 80's. Really, what was the difference
between a K1000 and a Nikon FM in terms of design?
What made ANYONE here buy Pentax and not a Nikon or
Canon in 1985?

For me it was price and features for the money. I
really think that Pentax have announced the *ist D WAY
ahead of PMA in order to see how Nikon & Canon AND the
buying public/press respond. Pentax marketing folks
can be dopey, but not THAT dopey. While a price of
$1200-$1500 may have been thrown around, everything is
subject to change. Plus who's to say they won't throw
in a bigger chip?

I keep aksing this: HOW SUCCESSFUL is/was the MZ-S?
Home-run or strike-out?

Peter