On Tue, 7 Oct 2003, graywolf wrote:

> In some cases there were optical compromises made to make the M lenses
> smaller and lighter. One of the things you have to know is that a kit of
> 2 MX camera bodies with motors and 6 M lenses (pretty common
> photojournalist set in those days) weighed about 1/2 what the same Nikon
> kit did.

Do tell!  This is where Pentax (and Olympus) have excelled since the '80s
and are only now getting real competition from Nikon and Canon--small
but capable equipment.  Until recently my own kit was two F4s and 5-6
lenses and it made for one big, heavy, and expensive camera bag compared
to the Super Programs and 5-6 lenses that I carried in college.

> Another of the things you have to realize here is that most of folks
> here on this list, or any other photo equipment list for that matter,
> are nitpickers.

Honestly Nikon pros are bigger whiners still, and perhaps less forgiving
about small equipment faults, so I'm used to it.  The 150% crop factor and
nikon's "G" lenses (like FA J in having no aperture ring) are causing a
monumental bitching session on the Nikon forums.  Of course if you are
spending over $1000 each on your lenses, you expect a lot.

> One honestly would be hard pressed to tell the quality
> difference in any non-defective Pentax lens or another in a good 8x10
> print. So take the comments on this list with a grain of salt. Most
> Pentax lenses very between very very good, and fabulous. One or two are
> only very good, none are crap.

I can see noticeable differences in my testing (which I'll send to the
list as soon as my 30mm f/2.8 shows up and gets tested) which I evaluate
with a 10x loupe which is about an 11x14" print.  Whether this would
really be noticeable in an 8x10 I don't know.  As a journalist I rarely
produce anything bigger than 5x7 anyway, so a 5x loupe would be more
realistic in terms of showing actual differences in use.
In general I would agree that most similar lenses appear to be about
equal in performance, except for the occasional exceptionally good
or bad design.

I'd be kinda curious to shoot with a lens that is known to be "crap",
since I'm pretty sure that I've always had average-to-exceptional glass.

DJE