Rob, the mechanical linkage needed to feedback the aperature ring position from the K and M lenses is simply not there on the *istD. All there is at that part of the mount is a bit of open space. This I know from actually comparing the *istD with my MX at GFM.

The so called K/M function is actually labeled "Allow shutter to fire with lens off "A" setting", or something very close to that. You needd to set it to use a newer lens with the aperture ring set to any thing other than "A" as well. I have come to think the fact you can use older lenses at all is not a design feature so much as a lucky accident.