This is a venting exercise for me so I apologize if this is too long.
For the second time this month Henry's sales reps have annoyed me to no end.
Both times I went into the store asking about the Pentax Digital ist D and
both times some arrogant sales person tried to sell me Canon crap instead of
Pentax. Both times, two different sales people, said the Pentax wasn't worth the
price and that Canon was better. That may or may not be true, but these guys
were likely Canon users who didn't know squat about high end Pentax stuff and
didn't even have the courtesy to pretend that Pentax had a very competitive
digital camera. Both times I gave the sales reps an ear full. The KID today tried
to tell me the Rebel D was better than the ist-d. I told him it was plastic
crap. He said it had more features than the ist-d. I didn't know enough about
the two cameras to argue with him, but I did tell him that my Pentax lenses
would not work on the Canon. Besides that, what these people don't get is that the
more gadgets or "features" a camera has does not make it better, just more
complicated. I want a camera that feels good, that is intuitive to use and has
the features I need and use. Pentax scores high marks here.
Pentax should not even be dealing with Henry's if this is the crap the sales
reps are selling customers. If I wanted a Canon I would have asked about the
Canons, I certainly don't need some kid telling me who makes the best cameras.
Today, I walked up to the counter, the ist-d was right below the kid, and
said "I see you have the Ist-D. (I expected him to say something like, oh yea it
just came in it's a nice camera. Pentax has done a great job on their first
Digital SLR.) Instead the kid says something like, Oh you want to see the Rebel
D. I said no the Ist-D. and off he went trying to tell me the Canon was better
than the Pentax. What a moron. He might have made a $3,000 sale if I had been
in the market. Now I won't even buy film from Henry's anymore...
Vic