----- Original Message -----
From: "Boris Liberman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Ryan Lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2003 6:06 AM
Subject: Re: Is my MZ-6 a plastic toy? (was: Has Pentax missed again?)

>There's one thing that struck me as particularly
> important - with 5n one cannot! set aperture from the body. That is,
> if you want to set aperture value that you choose - you have to do it
> on the lens. I suppose that 5n would work with FAJ lenses, but then Av
> mode would not be accessible. Or I may be totally wrong...

Yep you can't set aperture on the 5n body.. would be useful to have so that
they'd be fully compatible with the FAJ lenses. Maybe Pentax has some super
post- powerzoom, post-IS, post-HSM innovation which requires lenses to have
a basic FAJ circuitry configuration! Or maybe they're innovation department
recently hired a d*ckhead..

> Indeed MZ-6 has this variety of modes. The only useful is sport action
> mode. There the AF is forced into predictive mode... Not that it helps
> much because IMHO it is more a gimmick than really useful thing.

Don't forget the more gimmicky 'panorama mode' on the 5n! :)

> Though of course MZ-6 has snap in focus, which though is independent
> of picture more.

Hasn't the 5n got snap in focus w/ manual lenses too?

> Actually, and this may cause some people to throw some vegetables at
> me, but I think that MZ-5n and MZ-6 are of the same basic class. None
> is particularly sturdy, both are well feature packed. I think the only
> thing MZ-6 needs is to borrow viewfinder from 5n.

Same class I suppose in terms of specs I guess- just different interface.
I've always felt the 5n seems more sturdier than the 6 though. On something
else, do you notice the eyecup of the 5n has a tendency to attempt escape
from the camera everytime you take it out of a bag?

Rgds,
Ryan