But then you can find a bulk ink system for most Epson photo printers there is even one available for the cheap Photo 820.

alex wetmore wrote:

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Chris Stoddart wrote:

All this talk about the pros and cons of Ilford paper and so on and so
forth gives me opportunity to asks for recommendations for an A3 photo
printer, which I am sure Santa will be bringing me. I'm really torn
between the Canon i9000 and the Epson Stylus 1290S. In favour of the
Canon is that it has lots of little ink cartridges; in favour of the Epson
is it has a roll feeder in case I want to do panoramics (I'm tempted).

Another advantage of the Canon is that you can easily refill the ink
cartridges.  Don't underestimate how much ink will cost you when
making a lot of prints.  Being able to trivially refill cartridges is
a real plus.

I switched from Epsons to a Canon S9000 about a year ago and love it.

The Canon doesn't have a roll feeder, but you can do panoramics up to
about 44" if you just drape the paper behind it.  I've read of some
ways to get the printer to allow you to make longer panoramics.

Cons for the Canon are that a colleague bought one and got bad banding (I
think it was the 9000 though), so took it back and swapped it for another
- same problem.

My S9000 had a few clogged nozzles in the original printhead, but Canon
just mailed me another one.

alex

-- graywolf http://graywolfphoto.com

"You might as well accept people as they are,
you are not going to be able to change them anyway."