on 29.01.04 7:29, Tanya Mayer Photography at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> No, and even less do I want to go out and buy all new flash guns, cable
> releases and other accessories, but geez the specs on that Nikon D70, well,
> they can't be challenged by the *istD can they?  Pricing aside, the Nikon
> with its high buffering, high flash sync, immediate power up (VERY important
> for PJ wedding photography!), 1/8000 shutter speed, automatic ISO setting (i
> think this is very cool!), inclusion of its rechargeable battery pack etc
> wins me straight away.  Add to this the below US$1000 and I am extremely
> impressed.
1/8000s is rather not usefull with DSLRs, you can turn down ISO if your
shutter speeds are too slow for bright day. With AF360 you get HSS sync with
*istD, so it can sync even at 1/4000s (althought with less power). *istD is
ready to shoot with Compoact Flash card in less than 1 sec. - this is enough
for PJ wedding photography. And after all - I never turn off my camera at
weddings :-) Buffer size on D70 is really small - it can do only 4 RAWs or
TIFFs at once compared to 6 on *istD. Yes, it can do 144 frames, but this is
only thanks to ultra fast body-card communication - youll have to have ultra
fast card to make use of this (like Sundisk Extreme or Lexar 40x).
And there are three more "problems" with D70:
- lack of vertical grip
- total plastic - if you work often on weddings you should know how easy it
is to smash your camera accidentally in hurry - electronic parts of *istD
are protected by metall shell, while D70 inners are not...
- incredibly small viewfinder - it is only 0.75x and even very small VF in
300D has 0.88x! Comparing it to full frame coverage, it is less or more as
if you had 0.4x viewfinder on your Z-20 - would you like to work with such a
"pinhole"?

> Two of my favourite lenses are Tamron adaptalls, so all I would
> need is a Nikon lens mount, one good AF zoom, a TTL flash gun and bam!  I
> would be shooting for around the same price as the *istD, and with some very
> impressive "extras"...
With these Tamrons, you will lose light metering with D70, so they'll get
much less useable, especially on weddings, when there is no time to use
handheld lightmeter...

--
Best Regards
Sylwek