on 08.06.04 10:49, Dario Bonazza at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> AFAIK, the *ist D allows excellent blow-ups up to 20x30cm, and just
> acceptable ones up to 30x40cm. Not so bad, you could say, but can anybody
> explain me why the hell any good 4-5MP digital P&S (Canon, Konica, Leica,
> Minolta, Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic, Pentax...) can go beyond that?
> I've had several proofs of that, since a friend of mine (owner of a
> pre-press service company and very skilled Photoshop user) shows me such
> large format prints again and again.
> The only 5-6 MP camera he was unable to bring beyond 30x40cm is (guess
> which?)... the *ist D!
Unfortunately you are probably right Dario :-( While *istD is great at
closer distances it looses many details at longer ones. I compared my photos
to my friend's, made with C 10D (people photos, with flash) and the
difference was clearly visible on hair - if it was taken from greater
distance *istD loosed details and it looked slightly unnatural - it remained
a kind of picture I am used to in video cameras... 10D pictures looked much
better in this condition. And yes, my friend's Sony F707 could resolve more
detail in people's hair and skin when in certain distance. I don't know what
is responsible for this? I quess it is faulty bayer interpolation software,
because it seems that Nikon D100 using the same CCD doesn't have this
problems from what I've seen so far. That said, 20x30 cm prints from *istD
are great, 30x40 cm made on inkjet (HP Designjet 10ps) are very nice too.

--
Best Regards
Sylwek