Hans Imglueck wrote:

> to my eye the *ist-D is the one with the least distortion.
> Only a slight color moire far down. Am I wrong? Or is
> even that subjective?

And the *ist D is the one where the B&W lines get already confused when
other competitors can still resolve them, hence same comment as to Rob's
message:

Those targets support well my idea that the problem with the *ist D can be
the low-pass filter in front of the sensor, causing both lower moire (color
artifacts) and lower resolution.
When shooting natural subjects (not optical targets), the moire is seldom a
problem, while lower resolution is always visible.

Dario Bonazza