Hi,

Kevin Waterson wrote:

This one time, at band camp, mike wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I can see no good reason (except cheapness) for using methanol in a cleaning fluid when there are much safer and equally effective alternatives.

What is better?

Either of the Propanols (there is plain Jane and iso-propanol, or propan-1-ol and propan-2-ol in modern parlance) or ethanol (otherwise known as vodka) would be fine. Note that I am not saying that any of these are _safe_, just that they are much less toxic than methanol. Methanol's effects are irreversible, so a little blindness now and then, as it were, can add up to quite an effect in the long term.

You should be able to get small bottles of propanol from a chemist/pharmacist for a very cheap price once you have convinced them what it is for. Ethanol, in its pure form, is considerably more expensive, for obvious reasons. Vodka might work, but you would really be wasting it.......

mike