I have to say that I agree with Antonio and Jens on this one, as I often
shoot wide open (f1.7, 2.5 or 2.8, depending on the lens), specifically to
decrease the depth of field.  Unfortunately, the extra depth of field for
me, sucks majorly.

However, I don't feel that you need to be rude to prove your point, Antonio.
And I've said that before to you (remember, *I* am the "ugly" one)...

On the other hand, you guys are all so pedantic!  Why argue over something
so trivial?

Simply compose your shot, use the DOF preview, if its not enough DOF for you
then stop down a bit, if its too much, then open up.  Simple, problem
solved.  I don't need to know all the technical ins and outs of stuff, there
is a reason that cameras came out with DOF preview.  So long as I get the
result that I need, it is irrelevant to me how/why it happened.  (Sorry if
that offends, I'm just not very technically inclined).

See, I KNOW that using the *istD increases DOF, however, we all know that
DOF decreases with longer focal lengths.  So, if I have a 50mm lens on a
film camera, and a 50mm lens on an APS sized sensor, effectively turning it
into a 75mm lens, then wouldn't that meant that there would be LESS DOF on
the digital camera?  For some reason, that is obviously NOT the case, so
that's about where my techno attention span ends.  I'll just keep shooting
and remembering that for some reason, opening up to f4.5 would be like f2.5
(or whatever), if I were shooting film.  AND I'll just keep using my DOF
preview/lcd screen to make sure that I am happy with the results.

btw, Rob, I read like two paragraphs of that page you linked to before it
almost put me to sleep! har! sorry, i just hate anything mathematical or
requiring too much analysis...  Yeah, I know, I'm such a girl!

;-)

tan.