I've just taken my first look at what the Adobe DNG converter
does when you give it a Pentax PEF file from the *ist-D

First and foremost: the DNG converter doesn't preserve all the
Pentax-private data from the MakerNote tag (including, amongst
other things, the code identifying the lens mounted on the camera).
I would strongly recommend any *ist-D owner save a copy of the
PEF file, even if you decide to use DNG as a raw file format.

THe release notes that come with the converter indicate that
Adobe is aware of this shortcoming, and may address the issue
in a future release.

So:  how does the converter create the DNG file?

 o  Data copied from the PEF file

    o  The raw (12-bit) sensor data

    o  Most of the EXIF tags

       Some of these values are copied over into EXIF data,
       while some are copied into equivalent DNG tags.  There
       are also a couple of new EXIF tags which don't hold any
       new data, but simply give the APEX-standardised format
       for shutter speed and lens aperture.

 o  Data *NOT* copied from the PEF file

    o  All the JPEG images (thumbnails and full-size)

    o  The private settings from the MakerNote tag

 o  New data added to the DNG file

    o  A reduced-size (256 x 171) RGB TIFF image

    o  DNG-specific data

       (I'm not sure whether some of this information
       is taken from equivalent values in the MakerNote
       tag, or whether it reflects best-guess settings
       from Adobe.  I'm inclined to suspect the latter)

       o  Sensor-to-RGB conversion matrices (for two
          different, idintified, colour temperatures)

       o  Black level & White level

       o  Auto-White-Balance scaling factors

       o  Sensor crop region (offset & dimensions)

       o  Tags describing sensor layout, strength
          of the anti-aliasing filter, etc.

 o  Data *NOT* found in the DNG file

    o  Linearization tables

       This was a considerable surprise to me.
       The DNG file format contains specifications for a
       tag to describe the response curve of the sensor.
       I expected to see this tag in the created file,
       because both the Pentax Photo Laboratory and the
       in-camera image processing algorithms appear to
       use such a curve; it's probably the single largest
       factor in explaining the different in appearance of
       Pentax-created images as compared to those from any
       other software.

Bottom line: this looks very much like a work in progress.
I'd expect to see a future release of the DNG converter
preserve more of the Pentax-specific information from the
MakerNote tag, and perhaps even use the same linearization
curve as the Pentax software.  Until then I wouldn't use
DNG, even if I had any software that could read it.