Mark Roberts mused:

> "John Francis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >I've just taken my first look at what the Adobe DNG converter
> >does when you give it a Pentax PEF file from the *ist-D
> >
> >First and foremost: the DNG converter doesn't preserve all the
> >Pentax-private data from the MakerNote tag (including, amongst
> >other things, the code identifying the lens mounted on the camera).
> >I would strongly recommend any *ist-D owner save a copy of the
> >PEF file, even if you decide to use DNG as a raw file format.
>
> Doesn't that obviate one of the main reasons for the existence of the
> DNG format?

Not really - I'd expect that more software will support DNG, eventually,
than will support PEF; that's the primary reason I can see for it.

I'd also expect Adobe to fix the MakerNote issue; they have indicated
they know of the problem.  In fact the release notes for this version
of the DNG converter recommend not destroying the original raw files
(and hint that this could improve in future releases).

My biggest concern is with the colour differences between the Pentax
software and the DNG (and, presumably, PhotoShop) conversion.  I've
got some ideas I'm working on to address that, but I'm somewhat
restricted in what I can investigate, because I don't have PhotoShop CS.