Ha ha ! very nice picture Rob, not very zen-like, though. It's Sydney Opera on
the right, isn't it ?

Regarding Sugimoto's (or is it Hiroshi's ?) work, I have found a short
technical explanation in an interview about his Seascapes
(at http://www.assemblylanguage.com/reviews/Sugimoto.html)

To get the powdery sea effect in "North Atlantic Ocean - Cape Breton Island"
[1996], Sugimoto hauled his American-made, wooden cabinet Durdorf and Sons
camera out to Newfoundland, mounted it on a French tripod, screwed on a Carl
Zeiss lens, loaded an 8x10 sheet of Kodak Plus-X 125 ASA film and then put a
16x neutral density filter on the unwieldy apparatus to reduce the film’s
sensitivity to well below one ASA. "That's like the speed of 19th Century
film, when photography was invented," he explains. When satisfied with light
and composition, he tripped the shutter and waited *one and a half hours* for
the seascape image to burn itself onto the film.

(the picture is shown as a thumbnail on the site)

Question is: where does one find a 16x neutral grey filter ??? Do you have to
make one ?

Cheers

Fabrice

--