One can use a walking stick as a monopod. Just wrap the bottom of your
hand around the top of the stick and grip the camera with the thumb and
forefingers. Good for a couple of stops, and if they tell you you cannot
bring your walking stick in with you, just demand a wheelchair <grin>.

--
graywolf
http://www.graywolfphoto.com