> But the Transcend 8GB SDHC card is
> only rated as an SDHC Class 2 device (which appears to only require
> transfer speeds of 2MB/sec, from how I read the SDHC specifications).
> Similarly the Toshiba 8GB SDHC card (the first one that claims to
> meet the SDHC class 4 requirements of 4MB/sec) reports much higher
> transfer rates in their press release - they claim 20MB/sec, which
> is equivalent to 133x under the old SD speed rating system.
>
> Are you as confused as I am?

Indeed, its a weird 'upgarde' to the spec.  I suppose the current situation
is that the higher density cards are using the slower (but more densely
packed) flash technologies.  Still, why would they not spec out classes
beyond 6 in the SDHC spec?  Surely they'd assume 20mb/sec is only just round
the corner; sandisk already do it in there SD extreme III's  (well, about
17-18mb/sec in a K10D, but nominally 20mb)

It also really makes me wonder why they do these silly incremental
changes... "2G isn't enough?  Lets revise the spec... but we'll only allow
32G, no one will ever need more than that...."  why not just allow for
umpteen terabytes and be done with it (at least for a few years :), if
you're introducing a whole new (semi-incompatible) way of addressing the
card.

I notice though that the "Class" specification for SDHC also gaurantees the
*write* speed to be a certain mb/sec, which makes a nice change from the
dubious speed marking of previous SD cards.

- Peter