Walter,
The motels aren't much.  Think two stars in your AAA guide.  This is a
really rural backwater, but a resort place to escape the summer heat
of the Carolina coastal plane.  We've stayed at the Best Western in
Banner Elk, at a summer cottage in Lynneville (Land Harbour Resort),
at a sky resort motel room (Sugar/Beech Mountain? or Blue Ridge
Village?), and the closest is the Pixie Inn in Lynneville at the base
of Grandfather mountain.  These towns are barely big enough to have
any McDonald's.
The only place of decent size is Boone with a small college in town,
but that's a 20+ minute drive down the mountain and down the parkway.
Grandfather Mountain is right along the Blue Ridge Parkway about 90
miles north of Charlotte and 60 miles east of Ashville.  We came in
from Chicago via Knoxville and Johnson City, TN and then 1+ hours
south to GFM if you know where you're going.
Regards,  Bob S.