All I can tell you, Boris, is that when I was doing photography as a
hobby through the 1990s and into 2001, I was spending as much as
$2000 a year on film and processing. Moving to digital cameras in
2002 as my primary capture freed up a lot of my money (and time!) to
do more photography.

I've always had all my photographic endeavors detailed in my
accounting records, just like I have my automobiles, motorcycles and
travel expenses ... It's just way to look at it and say to myself at
the end of the year, "What have I been doing with my money all year?
and was it worth it?" The photography always has been ... ;-)