On Sun, 23 Sep 2001 06:08:48 -0400, I read:

>(The one I really, really, really want is where it looks like a photo "floating"
>above the background color & graduated shadow around it

To make a drop-shadow frame:

http://www.arraich.com/elements/pse_sstyles1.htm

The tutorial applies to Photoshop Elements, but I used
the same concepts in Pshop 6.0 to make this frame:

http://web2.airmail.net/linnm3/test02.jpg

The problem (strength?) of Photoshop or any good
graphics program is their ability to do damn near
everything, which makes simple things sometimes hard to
figure out.

There's no need to re-invent the wheel - someone
immersed in Photoshop has probably already figured it
out, and likely is willing to share an action or write
a plugin or write a short tutorial to show off their
skill. After grasping the basic methodology, you can
tweak the final look to your heart's desire.

--
John Mustarde