Show me exactly where I stated 'M42 adaptors do auto-aperture'. I
didn't. As far as I'm concerned, the metering stop down button IS the
auto aperture feature. They're directly (and physically) connected on
M42 SLR's that feature that capability. That's exactly what I was
referring to when I commented on the metering stop-down button, since
it's all the same basic mechanism.

You don't need a metering stop-down button if the body doesn't do
auto-aperture and you do if the body does do auto-aperture. There's no
other reason for the stop-down button to exist.

-Adam