On Apr 5, 2007, at 7:29 AM, ann sanfedele wrote:
> I hope you get some good answers to this -- if you find one that
> shoots
> raw, too  I may be selling something else off to get one :)

If you want a pocketable compact digicam that outputs RAW files, the
Panasonic LX2 (or LX1 for the slightly older model) is the one to get
at present. I've seen NOS LX1s going for just about $300 It's the
only compact that I've been comfortable printing 13x19 exhibition
prints from. It has built-in image stabilization, a Leica designed
lens, and produces good, low noise results in RAW capture up to about
ISO 200.

The Ricoh GR-D is wonderful if you can hack the price and live with a
fixed focal length lens. You can get it from the UK and a few US
sources that import it. Their upcoming Caplio GX100 will be another
winner, I think:
<http://www.dpreview.com/news/0703/07032801ricohgx100.asp>

Of course, the Sigma DP-1 should also be available soon ... a DSLR
sized sensor with 14Mpixel output, RAW or JPEG. But certainly not for
$300 or less.

Otherwise, the aforementioned Fuji F30/F20 are the best compacts I've
found to date. They do a very good job, despite being JPEG only
output and not having an optical viewfinder. My only dislike with
them is the xD storage card, but buy a 1G xD card is now available
for about $30, stores about 350 exposures, and that's more than
enough for my purposes.

I use the F30 as a kind of audio-visual scrapbook. The battery lasts
a very long time on a charge ... I just took a couple of snaps with
mine this morning... I think the last time I charged the battery was
in September of 2006, and that was 200 exposures ago.

Godfrey