I go with Pierre-Simon de Laplace.
Towards the end of the 16th century, Newton had found instabilities in
the planetary orbits, and it was commonly understood that without the
assistance of God, the planets simply weren't able to stay in orbit
for a prolonged time. Laplace proved mathematically that the orbits
were stable even if they wobbled a bit.

Napoleon Bonaparte came to read his work, and asked him what role God
played in the construction and regulation of the solar system. "Sire,"
Laplace replied, "I have no need of that hypothesis."

thanks,
Jostein

http://www.alunfoto.no/galleri/
http://alunfoto.blogspot.com