On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 00:10:18 -0500
Scott Loveless <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hey, gang.  I've been out of the music loop for quite a few years.  Used
> to play bass in a handful of bands.  Even made a couple bucks doing it.
>   (When I say "couple", I mean it.)  I sold my Fender Jazz a couple
> years back and now I have nothing.
>
> Looking to pick up an acoustic guitar (of the six string variety).
> Nothing too fancy, but not department store junk, either.  Was wondering
> if a few of you could recommend something in the sub-$500 range.  I'm
> specifically not looking for "signature" guitars, acoustic-electrics, or
> anything funky.  Just the standard, run of the mill, boring guitar that
> doesn't sound like shit.

Well, the mid to high end ibanez acoustic stuff isn't half bad, and can be had
in that price range.  Tell you what, if you have $500 to spend, If you dig
about you might just find an old gibson arch back in playable condition but
crap finish for that, and those old 30's gibis sound great.  You'll be suprised
how good the koreans have gotten, so don't scoff too hard at them.  Now i
should say, i don't like a bright guitar, hate them even, love a nice dark tone
woody tone.

> This should be easy to pick out, but the local guitar shops are run by
> jerks (has anyone ever been to a guitar shop that wasn't?) and I'd just

Yep, Apple Row Music in portland, awsome people, i go drinking with half of
them.  Mind you, you go into a guitar shop and drop $1800 cash on a les paul
double cutaway, just about any shop will treat you well so... i dunno.

> assume order the damn thing.  So any ideas are most welcome.  Thanks!

If your just going to order it, i guess go with musicians freind.

--
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL