I have a MZ-S, a *ist D, DS, K10D and a very understanding wife.  I
agree with the center sensor hypothesis suggested by Boris.  When set to
center only (as I frequently do), AF speeds are very close.  The K10D
seems to be right on par with the MZ-S if not better.  Also, the DSLRs
all had cross sensors unlike the MZ-S.  I remember having to tilt the
MZ-S on occasion to get it to settle down when the subject had a
distinct horizontal or vertical pattern.  The K10D is definitely better
than the DS with regard to AF, IQ, and build quality.  BTW, I really did
like my DS and it took much abuse and worked fine.  It's currently off
on a trip with a firend whose Nikon broke right before she left for
Budapest.

I have some sympathy for the concern about the proprietary battery.  It
does work well but unfortunately I have misplaced the charger.  If it
doesn't turn up very soon I'll have to drop $25-35 on a new generic
version.

>>> "Boris Liberman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 2/24/2008 9:32 AM >>>
I should add, that recently I've been playing a bit. Although trivial,
but it appears that if I force only center sensor to be used in AF'ing
then of course it seems that AF becomes faster. As far as I remember
MZ-S has less AF sensors than K10D. So perhaps it plays a certain role
in the equation.

Of course arranged comparison/test would be in order here.

--
Boris

follow the directions.

!SIG:47c1810069103172117797!